[Python-Dev] list.extend

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 06:37:19 -0400

  TP> [David Abrahams]
  >> What does this "experimental" label mean?

  TP> I'm not sure.  Guido slaps that label on new features from time
  TP> to time, with the implication that they may go away in the
  TP> following release.  However, no *advertised* experimental
  TP> feature has ever gone away, and I doubt one ever will.  We
  TP> should drop the "experimental" on this one for sure now, as lots
  TP> of code uses list.extend().

The access statement was experimental and went away.  I guess it is
the exception that proves the rule.  It was removed about the time I
started using Python, so I don't know what it's intended use was.

Many of the Python 2.2 features are also labeled experimental.  And I
don't expect that they will go away either.

Jeremy