[Python-Dev] New bugtracker project

David Ascher DavidA@ActiveState.com
Wed, 22 May 2002 14:06:24 -0700

Gordon McMillan wrote:

>On 22 May 2002 at 10:08, Trent Mick wrote:
>

>>I'll add another one to this:
>>
>>- After you submit changes to a bug in bugzilla via
>>the Web interface you are told to whom an email
>>update was sent and to whom it was NOT sent. This
>>implies that the bug tracking system allows users
>>to select under what conditions they would like to
>>receive email (e.g. "I would like to receive an
>>email for any changes if I own a bug, but only for
>>status changes if I am the QA contact on a bug.)
>>

>Which part of this are you deeming "useful"?
>Seeing the list of to whom it was NOT sent[1]?
>Or the fact that there seems to be a fancy
>filtering / triggering mechanism behind it?

Both.  The set of people mentioned (either as being sent an email or
_not_ sent an email) is the set of people who are either:
    reporter
    assignee
    QA contact
    on the CC: list.

Note that another feature we've added to bugzilla is a way for us to
"force a reply to reporter", so that we can communicate with customers
as part of the bug mgmt process, but they don't need to be sent every
comment on a bug (the defaults for our bugzilla is that users only get
comments when the bug is closed).

Saying that there are scalability issues with this process is somewhat
silly =) since Mozilla's bugzilla does this with >100,000 bugs and tens
of thousands of registered bugzilla users, w/ no problems.

--david