[Python-Dev] deprecating string module?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 29 May 2002 09:58:05 -0400

> I'm absolutely against depreceating the string module!

Maybe we need a new concept, "silent deprecation"?  We would do we
could to discourage the use of modules (like types or string) in the
documentation, maybe even removing their documentation altogether, but
the interpreter would not issue a warning message.

If done well, this could have approximately the same effect as a
deprecation warning, but without the negative PR effects.

Or maybe we could introduce a new warning category,
SilentDeprecationWarning, which is normally ignored (like
OverflowWarning already is).  This could be turned on explicitly with
a -W option so someone wanting to check that their code is
future-proof would have an easy way to do so.

I do not want to ignore all DeprecationWarning messages by default, as
it would defeat the main purpose of the warning.