[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Greg Ball gball@cfa.harvard.edu
Wed, 29 May 2002 17:46:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> One question is how spin this.  Listing a long series of
> incompatibilities presents the image of a language that has many
> gratuitous incompatible changes -- which is not true and the opposite
> of the message we want to convey.

Maybe an Anti-News document like the one that accompanies Emacs.  This
explains all the 'benefits' of downgrading to the previous version.  It
could be useful for porting between versions while at the same time poking
fun in a good-natured way at those living in the past...

I have rudely interrupted here before without introducing myself.  I'm a
graduate student in astronomy.  I started using python in 1998 because of
the Monty Python jokes.  I use Numerical Python a lot when I'm working,
and lurk around here when I should be.

--
Greg Ball