[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Lib/test test_signal.py,1.9,1.10

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
30 May 2002 14:10:01 +0100

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:

> > Does anyone want to explain BSD threads and their interaction with
> > signals to me?
>
> Yes.  Threads and signals don't mix.  Period.  (Only half a smiley. :-)

Well, I'm not mixing threads and signals, really.  I've now learnt
that when a signal is directed at a process on BSD it is delivered to
"a" signal from the set of signals that hasn't blocked it.

What I need to know, and can't quite work out, is how many threads are
present when you just execute

$ ./python

and are sitting at the interpreter prompt?  Is it just the one (the
main thread)?  That's what I thought, but I'm unable to explain the
behaviour I'm seeing if that is indeed the case.

Cheers,
M.

--
  [3] Modem speeds being what they are, large .avi files were
      generally downloaded to the shell server instead[4].