[Python-Dev] Re: Deprecation

Steve Holden sholden@holdenweb.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 17:51:37 -0400

> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > > while i agree to this basic idea i wanted to remind of the other
> > > point buried in my mail ... Changing the deprecation process to be
based
> > > on *version numbers* rather than *uncertain future points in time*...
> >
> > -1.  It's hard to predict how often versions will be released.  The
> > PEPs (4 and 5) specify time limits, which are better defined.

[Holger Kregel]:
> ok then. how would you translate (from PEP4)
>
>  "The deprecation warning will be added to the module
>   one year after Python 2.3 is released, and the
>   module will be removed one year after that."
>
> to an if-statement-check you want to implement *today*?
>
> Additionally, if the above was based on versions you
> could implement the *deprecation process* today, no need
> to remember at which date some PEP mentioned something
> which has been forgotten for three years <wink> anyway.
>
> Are we really supposed to remember release dates of
> python versions? I mean of course they are of great
> historic value, but ...

Well, personally I think it would be great if every release silently
suppressed deprecation warnings for code older than the release. So it would
only need to know its own release date. But I've made the suggestion before,
so apparently nobody thinks this is a sensible way to achieve "silent
deprecation".

at-least-this-thread-taught-me-how-to-spell-deprecation-ly y'rs  - steve
Steve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming                http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/