[Python-Dev] _socket efficiencies ideas

Thu, 10 Apr 2003 00:24:45 +1000

>>> Sean Reifschneider wrote
> My first thought is that there should be a local DNS cache on the
> machine that is running these apps.  My second thought is that Python
> could benefit from caching some lookup information...

Ick ick. This is putting a bunch of code for a stub resolver into python.
This stuff is hard to get right - I implemented this on top of pydns, and
it was a lot of work to get (what I think is) correct, for not very much
gain.

The idea of either suppressing DNS lookups for all-numeric addresses, or
some sort of extended API for suppressing DNS lookups might be better,
but really, isn't this the job of the stub resolver?

Anthony