[Python-Dev] Startup overhead due to codec usage

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 12:51:23 +0200

Martin v. L=F6wis wrote:
> "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:
>=20
>>The codec machinery was carefully designed not to introduce
>>extra overhead when not using Unicode in programs. The above
>>approach pretty much kills this effort :-)
>=20
> This effort is dead already. For example, on Unix, the file system
> default encoding is initialized from the user's preference; to verify
> that the encoding really exists, a codec lookup is performed.

Hmm, then we should fix this and the site.py lookup you
introduced. I don't see the point in increasing startup
time for all scripts just because a seldom used feature needs
initialization.

BTW, I wonder what happens if you run a Python version with
Unicode disabled in the current scenario.

--=20
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 18 2003)
EuroPython 2003, Charleroi, Belgium:                        67 days left