[Python-Dev] New test failure on Windows

Gary Herron gherron@islandtraining.com
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 19:56:49 -0700

On Thursday 24 April 2003 06:51 pm, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I think I understand the problem, and I've checked something in that
> makes the test pass, by insisting that the match raise RuntimeError
> with a specific error message.  This is what was tested before; that
> particular error message was part of the expected output in
> Lib/test/output/test_re, which is now no longer needed and which I
> have hence deleted.

Looks good.

Perhaps test_re should be (or should have been) phased out.  Test_sre
makes many of the same tests (including today's offending one), as
well as many new ones, and both run all the many old test from
re_test.  It must be a (historical) quirk that they both exist.  It's
mostly a waste to run both, and having two is a maintenance hassle,
underscored by the fact that Skip has choosen the less important one
of the two (IMHO) to modernize.

It's not a high priority, but perhaps I'll look at straightening
things out in the (somewhat distant) future.

Gary Herron