[Python-Dev] Looking for programs using regular expressions

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:31:21 -0400

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003, Brett C. wrote:
> Scott A Crosby wrote:
>>
>>I'm working on techniques to automatically identify problematic
>>regular expressions where carefully chosen inputs can cause a matcher
>>to run for a long time.
>>
>>I need testcases, so I'm looking for Python software that that is
>>widely used and also uses lots of regular expressions. Can anyone
>>offer any suggestions of what I should look at? I'm also looking for
>>Perl software.
>
> Scott, this is the wrong place to be asking this.  Python-dev is used to
> discuss the development of the Python language.  A better place to look
> for an answer to your question is on comp.lang.python (which can also be
> reached through python-list@python.org ).

Brett, your trigger finger is a tiny bit itchy.  I believe this is a
followup on the earlier thread about denial-of-service against hashing
functions, where Uncle Timmy pointed out that regexes are far more
troublesome.  Scott's more likely to get good testcases out of c.l.py,
IMO, but this is certainly an appropriate place for discussion if he's
planning to roll code back into the system.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz