[Python-Dev] Re: pirate (python+parrot)

Dan Sugalski dan at sidhe.org
Mon Aug 4 18:00:51 EDT 2003

At 10:12 PM +0200 8/4/03, Samuele Pedroni wrote:
>At 15:15 04.08.2003 -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
>>OTOH, the... 'interesting' task that is parsing perl may well have
>>skewed by feelings on the difficulties of bytecode translation vs
>>source compilation. ;-P
>
>with Python they are both easy, the meaty part of the task is
>writing a PMC hierarchy that embodies Python semantics or a
>non-trivial subset thereof. I imagine that the challenge code should
>touch on things like __getattribute__, descriptors, bound and
>unbound methods ... otherwise it would be rather unfair.

I fully expect a good chunk of the time to be taken up implementing
the builtin behaviour of Python, since as you say it wouldn't be much
of a challenge without that. Besides, I can't picture any reasonable
python program that wouldn't use pretty much all of the engine
internals other than the compiler.
--
                                         Dan