[Python-Dev] Re-introduce caching for _strptime.py for 2.3.1?

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Tue Aug 5 22:04:50 EDT 2003

[Brett, on strptime changes]
> My question is whether I should backport any of this.

I'm with Raymond:  yes.  Ripping out the cache for 2.3 final was a
time-pressure bugfix that wouldn't have been needed had you had another day
to repair it correctly.  I'm not so keen on adding complications beyond that
for "thread safety", though, as locale is inherently thread-insane in the
absence of a user-implemented locking protocol (but since most programs will
at worst change locale once at the start, worry about threads is mostly
wasted regardless).