[Python-Dev] Re: shared library

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Wed Aug 6 21:43:17 EDT 2003

[Jack]
> This is the main point, I think. By not including the shared
> library by defaultpeople looking for an extension language
> may decide to look elsewhere.

Not to mention the fact that Python on Windows has (effectively) never
supported static linking, and complaints have been scant.

When first moving the Python/Mozilla XPCOM binaries to Linux, I was
flabbergasted to find dynamic linking was considered an esoteric feature.
This certainly has been a significant barrier to getting PyXPCOM working in
a reasonable way for standard distributions.  My next significant paid job
also looks like being a Linux based embedding job where dynamic linking is
going to be a pre-requisite.

Mark.