[Python-Dev] autoconf's AM_CHECK_FUNCS breaks python2.3 on HPUX 11.11

Matthias Klose doko at cs.tu-berlin.de
Fri Aug 15 09:33:51 EDT 2003

Reported to the autoconf developers, but it badly breaks python2.3 on
HPUX 11.11.

The test for

	AC_CHECK_FUNCS(mktime, strftime, strptime, select)

and some other time functions is broken on HPUX 11.11. The test
snippet

	#ifdef __STDC__
	# include <limits.h>
	#else
	# include <assert.h>
	#endif

includes sys/time.h, which contains the declarations for the above
functions (among others). Changing this to

	#if defined(__STDC) && !defined(__hpux__)

fixes this (although I don't know, if autoconf may use the "defined"
syntax). There is at least one more function not detected by this
change: gettimeofday. I didn't investigate yet, but hand edited
pyconfig.h.

Maybe the generated configure could be hand-edited for releases or a
note added for the platform specific notes.

	Matthias