[Python-Dev] are CObjects inherently unsafe?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Dec 4 09:52:24 EST 2003

It seems to me that any time there are more than two CObjects around we
have a good chance of causing mischief:

 >>> import cStringIO, _curses
 >>> cStringIO.cStringIO_CAPI = _curses._C_API
 >>> import cPickle
 >>> cPickle.dumps(range(10))
Illegal instruction

(if you're trying this at home, starting python with -E might be
necessary to make sure cPickle hasn't been imported already).

Question 1: do we care?  I think we do: "no core dumps" is a pretty
strong Pythonic principle, even though this is certainly a "doctor it
hurts when I do this" situation.  OTOH, Armin's gc.get_referrers hack
was deemed allowable.

It seems to me that it would be more sensible to have a dict mapping
names (maybe just module names...) to cobjects in the interpreter
state.  I guess there might be a way of getting ahold of the dict with
the gc module (though I can't think of one off hand).  This wouldn't be
a difficult change, and if the CObjects are left in the module dicts,
it shouldn't even do that much damage to binary compatibility.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
mwh
(who also notices that the cobject section in Doc/ext/ could do with
being updated to use PyCObject_Import...)