[Python-Dev] Int FutureWarnings and other 2.4 TODOs

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 4 09:50:40 EST 2003

[Guido]

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>>So the question is, does long have operations that int doesn't have?
>>>And if so, why can't those operations be added to int?  And if there's
>>>a reason, is it good enough?
>>
>>Taking into account their difference in representation, a long can support
>>1<<32, but an int can't.
>
> We're talking about a hypothetical int here where that operation
> returns 4294967296L.  (Not so hypothetical, it's implemented in Python
> 2.4 in CVS.)

The 'performance hack' point of view I was trying to suggest was along
the lines of:

"Python integers are capable of storing values of arbitrary magnitude,
subject only to the memory capacity of the machine. As a matter of
performance, Python will use native C integers (and native arithmetic)
when the stored value is small enough to fit."

That is, I was agreeing with Guido's first point above.