[Python-Dev] Improve Python for embedding

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Mon Dec 22 22:20:05 EST 2003

[Martin von Löwis]

> So to allow reproducable results, you need a guarantee that nothing
> on the target system is incorporated in your application.

I did not closely follow this thread, and apologise if I repeat
arguments which have already been said.

While I quite understand the argument and needs which Martin expresses,
there are situations where one is happy to tune the behaviour of the
embedded Python through the usual environment variables.

It might depend if the embedding application intends to either expose or
hide the existence of Python.  If the application offers Python as an
extension language for the system implemented by the application, Python
is then exposed, and the user should be able to use environment variable
to his/her advantage.  If the application uses Python internally, all to
itself, then the application likely wants to hide even the fact that it
uses Python, exerts full control, or at least decide exactly how much or
little the user is allowed to interfere, as Martin explained.

If it is given that only one of these avenues is favoured, I would for
one prefer that the "exposed" direction be the easier to implement,
which may be the statu quo over the current situation.  The "hiding"
direction might be evaluated so it requires a bit more work for
the implementor, about deleting or forcing the values of a few
sensitive environment variables.  Especially given that a Python hiding
application is likely to control other environment variables as well
(like maybe those related to loader path search, or localisation).