[Python-Dev] First version of Python MSI available

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Dec 29 10:25:40 EST 2003

I have committed python/nondist/sandbox/msi to the CVS.
This is a MSI generator for Python on Windows, which I'd
like to propose as a replacement for Wise. A sample .msi
file is available at

http://www.dcl.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/home/loewis/python2.4.0.msi

This installer includes binaries compiled with MSVC 7.1
(aka VC.NET 2003).

The MSI file tries to copy most features and user interface
from the Wise installer, but adjusts to the feature set of MSI.
I'm aware of a few issues, but I'd like to request feedback
in any case.

Known issues:
- the C runtime DLL is not yet included. It turns out that
   the VC.NET merge module for msvcr71.dll is useless, so I
   have to extract the DLL from it and incorporate that;
   I'd also like to include some auto-detection of DLLs
   used.
- MSI "administrative installs" (network installs) are not
   tested yet; neither is advertisement (this should not work
   well, in any case, as the MSI file won't advertise the
   shortcuts)
- the package doesn't ask for confirmation when installing
   into an existing directory. Not sure how to do this with
   MSI.

Please let me know what you think,

Martin