[Python-Dev] Re: trying times thunks

A.M. Kuchling amk@amk.ca
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 10:28:04 -0500

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> here.  I haven't seen him fix any SRE bugs either, SF bugs assigned to
> him for ages notwithstanding.

On the other hand, "unsubscribing from python-dev" != "ending all Python
development".  Maybe we should draw up a list of what needs to get done
before 2.3alpha2 can be released; are any of the bugs critical?

I certainly understand where he's coming from, though. Rational number
threads are my particular pet peeve, because discussions never converge
  on a solution, making it unlikely that any way will ever be found to
add rationals to the language, yet rational threads seem to go on endlessly.

Working on language features seems like misdirected activity to me,
and perhaps to Fredrik as well, when other activities might be more
beneficial for Python, e.g. finishing and implementing Moshe's
Batteries Included PEP, adding numarray, or things like that.
(Overall I'm really pleased with 2.3 because the library additions --
logging, register.py, PyBSDDB, tarfile, and the CSV API, should it go in
-- plug a number of gaps in the stdlib.)

--amk                                                    (www.amk.ca)
LEAR: O, that way madness lies.
       -- _King Lear_, III, iv