[Python-Dev] How to troll python-dev

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 11:07:16 -0800

I wrote this because I wanted to judge for myself based on the record
whether the problem is that Python's "bigwigs" do not "take constructive
criticism well."

====

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-January/032519.html

First, ask a question appropriate to python-list on python-dev. On
python-list, there are hundreds of smart people who have discussed this
question hundreds of times. They hang out there precisely because they
want to discuss Python and are usually happy to shoot the shit.
Python-dev, on the other hand, is where work takes place (when everyone
is not distracted by trolls).

Guido and the other core python developers are unlikely to have anything
new to contribute on the issue. Whatever thoughts they have are surely
shared knowledge by now. There are a hundred people on python-list who
could have told you what each post in this thread would look like (with
the exception of those by the new troll).

Second, don't read the FAQ, or pretend not to have read the FAQ. Don't
phrase your question in terms of a clarification of the FAQ. Rather, act
like you are too stupid and lazy to have bothered with the FAQ. Why read
the FAQ when you can just ask a bunch of busy developers?

Third, demonstrate your weak understanding of the problem space by
comparing Python to a statically typed language like O'Caml rather than
a dynamically typed one like Self.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-January/032556.html

Fourth, act like you have perfect knowledge of the history of Python:
"Really? It surprises me that after 10 years, this isn't something that
has been given more priority. Is the problem simply too difficult?" The
troll has no idea what priority it has been given. If he did, he would
know that various smart people have thrown themselves at the problem
repeatedly and only ever achieved partial results. This is higher
priority than most other features get.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-January/032556.html

Fifth, _insult_ Python on the Python list by saying: "It would be nice
to use Python for more serious projects, but it isn't fast enough
currently."

This implies that most people using Python are not using it for
"serious" projects, the popularity of (e.g.) MailMan and Zope
notwithstanding.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-January/032562.html

Then insult our understanding of the problem, (in a response to Guido,
no less): "I think it's clear noone really knows why this hasn't been
done yet."

Next state a truism as if it were a deep, hidden trught: "However,
head-way (Psycho) has been made in a very short period of time, so it
hardly seems impossible given enough time and effort."

Nobody ever said that it was impossible given enough time and effort.
They said that there was nobody with enough time willing to put in
enough effort.

Now the flamewar is starting to heat up. Paint yourself as the victim.
"What, so I can't inquire about or request a potential feature unless I
can implement it myself? Please." Refusing to accept responsibility is
the key to enflaming everyone else. "Look, it's obvious that I've hit a
nerve here, but that wasn't my intention."

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-January/032582.html

Next, retreat enough to look reasonable.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-January/032563.html

Pretend to accept some responsibility, but insult Python again at the
same time.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-January/032577.html

Rather than leaving when you are asked to, shift blame to the trollees.

"Has anyone ever told you guys that you don't handle constructive
criticism well? And Guido, the problem with having a crummy attitude
like this is that it tends to infect those around you tainting the whole
project."

Look Graham: go to linux-kernel and tell the people there that Linux is
not ready for "serious" work because it isn't a microkernel and see what
happens.

  Paul Prescod