[Python-Dev] Adding Japanese Codecs to the distro

Hye-Shik Chang perky@fallin.lv
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 05:51:28 +0900

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 09:36:17PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Tamito KAJIYAMA wrote:
> >On the efficiency of my codecs: Honestly speaking, the
> >priorities with regard to time and space efficiencies during the
> >development of JapaneseCodecs were very low.  I believe there is
> >much room for improvements.  The set of mapping tables in the
> >pure Python codecs would be the very first candidate.
>
> Ok, how about this: we include the C versions of your codecs
> in the distribution and you take over maintenance as soon
> as time permits.
>
> Still, I'd would love to see some further improvement of the
> size and performance of the codecs (and maybe support for the
> new error callbacks; something which Hisao has integrated
> into his codecs).
>
> Would it be possible for you two to team up for the further
> developement of the Japanese codecs ?
>
> Perhaps Hye-Shik Chang could join you in the effort, since he's
> the author of the KoreanCodecs package which has somewhat
> similar problem scope (that of stateful encodings with a huge
> number of mappings) ?

I just submitted a patch for incorporating Korean Codecs (SF #684142).
It's just around 55KB as a stripped 32bit binary.
I'm studying Japanese and Chinese encodings nowadays. I'll try to
make a patch for Tamito's JapaneseCodecs and Chen Chien-Hsun's ChineseCodecs
for PEP293 support and small binary size if I can do. :)

> Thanks,
> --
> Marc-Andre Lemburg
> CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH