[Python-Dev] non-binary operators

Gerald S. Williams gsw@agere.com
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:54:45 -0500

I'm *not* discussing PEP 308, since that's supposed to
be happening on c.l.py. The operator names have been
changed to protect the innocent. :-)

Gary Herron wrote:
> The above defines two binary operators "[POINTED]" and
> "[STICK]" and a ternary operator "[POINTED]...[STICK]".
[...]
> can the action of the ternary operator be defined in
> terms of the actions of the two binary operators?
[...]
> The answer is *NO*, all three expressions evaluate to
> different results.

Why is that any different from the following set, which
are already three different expressions in Python?

  ( bunch_of_grapes <   banana ) < pointed_stick
    bunch_of_grapes < ( banana   < pointed_stick )
    bunch_of_grapes <   banana   < pointed_stick

-Jerry