[Python-Dev] various unix platform build/test issues

Neal Norwitz neal@metaslash.com
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 23:57:57 -0500

It ain't real pretty, but it could be worse:

        http://metaslash.com/py/2.3-problems.html

I'm trying to commit changes to the logging package, but SF has a
stale CVS lock for anoncvs_python.  I filed a support request.
Hopefully they will have it fixed within a month or two, at least by
the time 2.3 is ready to be released.  I don't know if the updates are
supposed to fix the test hangs/failures for test_logging.

Here's the problem highlights (there are more, follow the link):

  * There are 3 64-bit issues:
        http://python.org/sf/688424

  * test_pty hangs on 3 platforms, possible fix:
        http://python.org/sf/671384

  * test_resource can fail when filesize is limited
        http://python.org/sf/678264

  * iconv module calls PyFatalError() if the C module initialization
        fails, is there a better way to handle this?  I had to
        disable building iconv on AIX.

  * AIX sorts numbers and strings in a different order than Linux:

        >>> 'ick' >= 0  # Linux
        True

        >>> 'ick' >= 0  # AIX
        False

     This causes failures for test_descrtut and test_random.

I don't expect to get these taken care of for 2.3a2 assuming
it's released tomorrow.  It would be nice to have most of
the platforms clean for the beta.

Neal