[Python-Dev] test_timeout fails on Win98SE

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 17:38:15 -0500

NealN very recently changed test_timeout so that it actually ran its tests
(it didn't before, unless it was run directly "by hand").

The result here on Win98SE:

test test_timeout failed -- Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\CODE\PYTHON\lib\test\test_timeout.py", line 107, in
testConnectTimeout
    self.addr_remote)
  File "C:\CODE\PYTHON\lib\unittest.py", line 285, in failUnlessRaises
    raise self.failureException, excName
AssertionError: error

1 test failed:
    test_timeout

Doing what the test does by hand doesn't raise an exception either:

>>> import socket
>>> sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
>>> sock.settimeout(.001)
>>> sock.connect(('www.google.com', 80))

I suspect (but don't know) that Win98SE treats .001 as if it were some
larger value.  It would help if I could find an address that doesn't get
connected instantly from here <0.7 wink>.