[Python-Dev] tutor(function|module)

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 14:19:15 -0500

  CB> I also recognize that this is ?feature? is not a core language
  CB> functionality.  But due to its special nature (I put this into
  CB> the same area as help) I think that it does warrant thought
  CB> about if it deserves to be included as a core feature *simply
  CB> because* it might really help newbies out.

  CB> A web page full of examples would be great, but again - would
  CB> Joe New User know about the web page if they didn't even know
  CB> about the lang (because it came pre-installed)?  I don't know...

I expect that a newbie is better able to use Google then he or she is
able to poke around a Python installation.  Creating a web page is a
good way to serve them.  An added benefit is that people can vote with
their clicks.  If you write a great tutorial, people will find it via
a search engine.  If someone writes a greater tutorial, people can use
it instead.

Jeremy