[Python-Dev] RE: [Spambayes] Question (or possibly a bug report)

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:25:25 -0400

[Tim]
>> It would be better if Python didn't use locale-dependent
>> string<->float conversions internally, but that's just not
>> the case (yet).

[Tony Meyer]
> Is this likely to become the case?  (In 2.4, for example?)

I think so, and maybe before that.  Not in 2.3 final, but maybe in 2.3.1 --
numeric locale problems can be catastrophic to Python programmers, so I'm
comfortable arguing the case for calling it a bugfix.  Whether it happens
depends on who's willing and able to do the work, of course.  There's a
patch pending on a Python tracker to do it, but that uses a pile of code
borrowed from glibc, and that's got problems of its own.