[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.3c2

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:31:54 -0400

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003, Tim Peters wrote:
> [Aahz]
>> [Barry]
>>>
>>> Please note!  I've updated PEP 283 to reflect my hope that we can put
>>> out 2.3 final next Tuesday the 29th.
>>
>> This is fine with me, but I'd like the official docs to still state
>> that the release takes place on 7/31.  This will facilitate
>> coordiantion of the press releases, I think.
>
> What's the logic here?  Is the general algorithm that if we do a
> release on date D, the official docs should say it was released
> on date D+2?  Or that the official docs should say that a release
> occurred on the last day of the month at or following the actual
> release date?  The next Thursday after the actual release?  It can't
> be that you want to see the first prime date at or after the actual
> release, unless there's been an arithmetic error <wink>.

No, it's that there are press releases that are dependent on this
release, particularly the one involving Apple.  I think that hard-coding
the press releases *now* offers advantages for coordinating the actual
release process, so that we don't need to worry about updating them.
What happens if the actual release slips just one day?

In the past, our pattern has been that the press release follows the
product release, but that's not happening this time.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it intersects
with useful practice.  --Aahz