[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Misc NEWS,1.826,1.827

Brett C. drifty@alum.berkeley.edu
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:00:18 -0700

Raymond Hettinger wrote:

>>+ - Removed caching of TimeRE (and thus LocaleTime) in _strptime.py to
>>+   fix a locale related bug in the test suite.  Although another patch
>>+   was needed to actually fix the problem, the cache code was not
>>+   restored.
>

> FWIW, I would feel safer if the cache code were restored.
> That code has been around for while and the one defect
> is known.  In contrast, the "ripping it out" touched a lot
> of code and has not been thoroughly reviewed.

One argument for not putting it back: I realized that it is not totally
thread-safe because of the laziness of the figuring out the locale info
(although switching the locale while running threads you are asking for
trouble).  While there is no specific thread-safety claims, I would
rather work the code to make it thread-safe before re-introducing caching.

But if people feel otherwise it is easy to put back in.  I am abstaining
from making any form of a vote on this since to not have a warped bias
towards one side.

-Brett