[Python-Dev] bsddb3 test hang

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:01:24 -0500

    Detlef> This is maybe not the same problem that Zooko had, but bsddb
    Detlef> doesn't build on my Linux 2.4.10 (SuSE 7.3) box either where
    Detlef> Sleepycat db-4.1.25 was installed from the sources.  It puts
    Detlef> db.h under /usr/local/include per default where Python's
    Detlef> setup.py doesn't find it.

    zooko> This *was* the same problem that I had.

    zooko> The solution ("workaround"?) is to install bsddb in
    zooko> `/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1'.

I've been resistant to adding /usr/include and /usr/lib to the search path
in setup.py because some platforms still ship with Berkeley DB 1.85 in those
directories.  If you can supply a patch to setup.py which will only allow
db3 or 4 to be used to link the bsddb module, I will see about adding
/usr/include and /usr/lib to the bsddb module search path for 2.3.1.
Anything you come up with should also allow the bsddb185 module to build
with db2, 3 or 4, but require a simple tweak to setup.py (perhaps a variable
setting change at the top of the file) to build it with db1.85.

Skip