[Python-Dev] 2.3.1

Alex Martelli aleax@aleax.it
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 00:16:05 +0200

On Sunday 27 July 2003 00:05, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Alex Martelli wrote:
> > "release candidates" are supposed to help us find critical bugs AND FIX
> > THEM before final release.  I opine these bugs that we've found ARE
> > critical enough
>
> I completely disagree. This code has been in IDLE for quite some time.
> If it was a serious problem, it would have been reported before.

It's been in *idlefork* -- not in the mainstream, an official Python
release.  The kind of people for whom these problems are very
serious -- newbies, attracting whom is crucial to Python's future --
just aren't likely to download and try arbitrary SF projects nor any
release that's not "final"; the people who DO download and try
SF projects and alpha/beta/rc releases -- and submit bug reports
for things they dislike -- are clearly more likely to have well
configured machines, avoid using "personal firewalls" that as
Gerhard reminded us are in fact of dubious utility though popular,
or even (as Tim Peters reports he did) investigate the sources
enough to satisfy themselves that the firewall's report is bogus
and not submit that as an idlefork bug.

Alex