[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.3 (final)

Brett C. drifty@alum.berkeley.edu
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:52:24 -0700

Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm
> happy to announce the release of Python 2.3 (final).

Woohoo!  I know I would like to thank Barry, Tim, and Jeremy for all
playing some part of release manager for this.

Now, it's time for Brett's Newbie Questions!

When can we start doing 2.4 work on HEAD?  I assume 2.3 will end up a
maintenance branch that patches are to be back-ported to.  If that is
true, what is the tag name (I assume release23-maint)?

What happens to 2.2 work?  Since 2.3 will now be the last stable release
should we even worry about backporting to 2.2?  I know it has been said
that 2.2 would be a very stable version that would be around for a
while, but I think Martin said that once 2.3 was out we would not really
worry about 2.2 .

Are there any preset goals of 2.4?  The only one I know of off the top
of my head is to prevent Guido from getting a pie to the face at OSCON
2004.  =)

That is all I can think of off the top of my head.

-Brett