[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.3 (final)

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 00:34:58 -0400

[Brett]
> When can we start doing 2.4 work on HEAD?

Wait for Barry to Pronounce on that; there may be some last-second release
branch checkins that need to be merged back into the HEAD.

> I assume 2.3 will end up a maintenance branch that patches are to be
> back-ported to.

Right.

> If that is true, what is the tag name (I assume release23-maint)?

If it's not release23-maint already, Barry will fix that <wink>.

> What happens to 2.2 work?  Since 2.3 will now be the last stable
> release should we even worry about backporting to 2.2?  I know it has
> been said that 2.2 would be a very stable version that would be
> around for a while, but I think Martin said that once 2.3 was out we
> would not really worry about 2.2 .
>
> Are there any preset goals of 2.4?  The only one I know of off the top
> of my head is to prevent Guido from getting a pie to the face at OSCON
> 2004.  =)

"Scratch your own itch."  If you think 2.2.4 is a good idea, do some
backporting for it; if Martin doesn't, that's cool too.  I'm going to ignore
the 2.2 line in my spare time (it doesn't scratch any itch I have).  I don't
know of concrete plans for 2.4 beyond finishing int/long unification; I
expect Guido is going to need time to plot a new course given his new
position and the dissolution of his group (although the observant have
noticed that what PLabs does here has been dropping steadily since last
year, we've been doing a pretty good job of maintaining an illusion of
Pythonic vigor <wink>).