[Python-Dev] JUMP_IF_X opcodes

Neal Norwitz neal@metaslash.com
Mon, 03 Mar 2003 21:56:26 -0500

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 06:55:47PM -0500, Damien Morton wrote:
> I have been reviewing the compile.c module with respect to the use of
> JUMP_IF_XXX opcodes, and the frequency with which these opcodes are followed
> by a POP_TOP instruction.
>
> It seems to me that there are two kinds of uses cases for these opcodes,
>
> The first use case could be expressed as POP_THEN_JUMP_IF_XXXX
> The second use case could be expressed as JUMP_IF_XXX_ELSE_POP
>
> Comments, suggestions, etc, appreciated.

I think you won't get much of a benefit by adding the 2+ instructions
necessary for this scheme.  I think it would be best to have
JUMP_IF_XXX always do a POP_TOP and never jump to a jump.  Below is an
example of some code and the disassembly.

        >>> def f(a, b):
        ...   if a and b:
        ...     print 'nope'
        >>> dis.dis(f)
          2           0 LOAD_FAST                0 (a)
                      3 JUMP_IF_FALSE            4 (to 10)
                      6 POP_TOP
                      7 LOAD_FAST                1 (b)
                >>   10 JUMP_IF_FALSE            9 (to 22)
                     13 POP_TOP

          3          14 LOAD_CONST               1 ('no')
                     17 PRINT_ITEM
                     18 PRINT_NEWLINE
                     19 JUMP_FORWARD             1 (to 23)
                >>   22 POP_TOP
                >>   23 LOAD_CONST               0 (None)
                     26 RETURN_VALUE

Note the first JUMP_IF_FALSE jumps to the second JUMP_IF_FALSE which
then jumps to POP_TOP.  An optimized version of this code where the
POP is performed as part of the JUMP_IF_XXX could be:

        >>> dis.dis(f)
          2           0 LOAD_FAST                0 (a)
                      3 JUMP_IF_FALSE           11 (to 17)
                      6 LOAD_FAST                1 (b)
                >>    9 JUMP_IF_FALSE            5 (to 17)

          3          12 LOAD_CONST               1 ('no')
                     15 PRINT_ITEM
                     16 PRINT_NEWLINE
                >>   17 LOAD_CONST               0 (None)
                     20 RETURN_VALUE

In the optimized version, there are at least 2 less iterations around
the eval_frame loop (when a is false).  1 POP_TOP, 1 JUMP_IF_FALSE.
If both a and b are true, the if body is executed and there are 3
iterations less.  2 POP_TOPs, 1 JUMP_FORWARD.  With more conditions,
the savings should be better.

The problem is that it's difficult to get the compiler to output this
code AFAIK.  I believe Skip's peephole optimizer did the
transformation to prevent a jump to a jump, but that was another pass.
The new compiler Jeremy is working on should make these sorts of
transformations easier.

All that said, the scheme you propose could provide a decent speed up.
The only way to know is to try. :-)

Neal