[Python-Dev] test_popen broken on Win2K

Neil Schemenauer nas@python.ca
Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:21:18 -0800

Tim Peters wrote:
> Someone changed test_popen to "quote" the path to python:
>
>     cmd = '"%s" -c "import sys;print sys.argv" %s' % (sys.executable,
> cmdline)
>            ^  ^
>
> The double-quote characters above the carets are new.

Having to quote arguments to popen and system is a pet peave of mine.
99% of the time I don't not want or need the shell.  Is it possible to
write versions of system() and popen() that do not use the shell on
Windows?  I know it's possible on Unix systems.  It would be really nice
if both popen() and system() could take a sequence for the command and
arguments in addition to a string.

  Neil