[Python-Dev] Where is OSS used?

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 21:16:47 -0500

I'm working on docs for ossaudiodev, and I thought I'd ask here before
bugging the OSS people: does anyone know which operating systems use OSS
(Open Sound System) as the standard audio interface?  I know Linux up to
2.4 does, as do some (all?) versions of FreeBSD.

Do any of the other BSD flavours (OpenBSD, NetBSD, ...) use OSS
out-of-the-box?  (If you have access to a FooBSD box, take a look for
/usr/include/*/soundcard.h -- if it looks like this:

"""
#ifndef SOUNDCARD_H
#define SOUNDCARD_H
/*
 * Copyright by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1997
[...]
"""

then it's OSS.)

Anyone know precisely which 2.5.x version of Linux dropped OSS in favour
of ALSA?

Please reply directly to me -- my python-dev subscription is temporarily
disabled because I went on holiday a week ago, and still haven't caught
up with my other email backlog...

Thanks --

        Greg
--
Greg Ward <gward@python.net>                         http://www.gerg.ca/
I just read that 50% of the population has below median IQ!