[Python-Dev] Capabilities

Ben Laurie ben@algroup.co.uk
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:50:38 +0000

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>Ben Laurie wrote:
>>There seems to be a persistent confusion here that i would like
>>to dispel: a capability is not a single lambda.
>

> I guess, I misunderstood..  I was sure that Ben told me this was so.
> Apparently I misread, or you have a different definition of capability
> than he does (wouldn't be the first time.)

The thing is that a capability is a pretty abstract notion. You can
implement them as classes or as lambdas - I initially did them as
classes, but decided that lambdas were neater, at least in the context
of Python. I could be wrong. It could just be my particular bias, which
is why I'd prefer, ideally, to be able to do either.

I'm sure if people want to be definition lawyers they can find
documentation explaining why either of those isn't quite right, but I'm
interested in functionality and the functionality is available either way.

Cheers,

Ben.