[Python-Dev] tzset

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:17:23 -0500

[Guido]
> I don't know if it makes sense to provide tzset() on Windows; from
> Tim's description it doesn't sound likely.

I wouldn't object if someone else wanted to do the work (which includes
documenting it well enough to cut off an endless stream of obvious
questions).  The Windows tzset is weak but maybe usable for some people.
For example, time zone names must be exactly 3 characters, and you can't
tell the Windows tzset when daylight time begins or ends:  it uses US rules
no matter what the time zone.  The native Win32 SetTimeZoneInformation()
doesn't suffer these idiocies, but I'm not sure whether calling that affects
the Unixish _tzname (etc) variables.  "Doing the work" also means figuring
out all that stuff.