[Python-Dev] PyObject_GenericGetIter()

Raymond Hettinger python@rcn.com
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:02:02 -0500

> Where was this agreed upon?

Perhaps I overstepped.  It's been on my todo list for a
couple of months and didn't seem to be even slightly
controversial.

> __iter__ returning self doesn't sound very generic to me,
> so at the very least the name should be changed IMO.

Thomas suggested PyObject_GetSelfIter, PyObject_GenericSelfIter,
or PyObject_SelfIter.  Consistent with the other tp_slot fillers, I
suggest PyObject_GenericIter.

> Also, adding a standard API for a helper function this
> trivial doesn't really make sense to me.

This identical code was duplicated in a dozen different
modules in the same context.  It comes up when writing
most iterators and needed to be factored out.

Raymond Hettinge