[Python-Dev] New Module? Tiger Hashsum

Tino Lange Tino.Lange@isg.de
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:15:20 +0100

Hi!

Today I suddenly needed the tiger hashsums from python - it's not
included in the standard distribution and I couldn't find it somewhere.
So I thought that's it's maybe time again to contribute :-)

It was a quite straight forward task to write a wrapper that is able to
calculate such hash-sums from Python, besides the tiger.c/tiger.h it's
only a few lines of code. It runs perfect under Linux with distutils - I
guess someone who knows windows better has to look for a windows port
beacuse of the 'long long' integers (shouldn't be too hard) ...

But at least for me it's really useful:

> (135509944, 135510340, 135510352, 135509920, 135510016, 135197188)
> 'This module gives you access to the fast, cryptographic tiger hash function from Eli Biham, see http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~biham/Reports/Tiger/ for details.'
> 'tiger(string) -> (int, int, int, int, int, int) -- compute a 192 bit hash-sum of given string (which can contain zero characters)'

Are you interested to get the code, maybe for the next release? Shall I
send it to someone of you developers? Or upload somewhere to your
project page? Or just send it here as attachment?

Just let me know.
Best regards!

Tino