[Python-Dev] pyconfig.h not regenerated by "config.status --recheck"

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd@acm.org
Wed, 07 May 2003 16:14:19 +0200

On Wed, May 7 2003 Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     >> So, a word to the wise: avoid config.status --recheck.
>
>     Michael> I don't know if I'm wise or not but I do tend to go for
>
>     Michael>  rm -rf build && mkdir build && cd build && ../configure -q && make -s
>
>     Michael> for most rebuilds... I guess I should trust my tools a bit
>     Michael> more.
>
> I got in the habit of using config.status --recheck because it allowed me to
> only remember a single configure-like command for most packages I
> build/install using configure.  I only had to figure out what flags to pass
> to configure once, then later typing "C-r rech" in bash was sufficient to
> reconfigure the package.  It would be nice if config.status had a flag which
> actually executed configure without the --no-create and --no-recursion
> flags.
>
> Someone mentioned invoking config.status without the --recheck flag.  I
> don't think that's wise in a development environment since that doesn't
> actually run configure.  Since we're talking about building Python in a
> development environment, I find it hard to believe you'd want to skip
> configure altogether.

I mentioned that.  But I also said to do that after running with the
--recheck flag.

In fact, I use the bit

Makefile: Makefile.in config.h.in config.status
        ./config.status
config.status: configure
        ./config.status --recheck

in some of my makefiles.  I just type "make Makefile" and it does all it
needs to do.

-- Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd@acm.org>