[Python-Dev] Relying on ReST in the core?

Wed, 07 May 2003 11:19:16 -0400

For PEP 314, it's been suggested that the Description field
be written in RestructuredText.  This change doesn't affect the
Distutils code, because the Distutils just takes this field and
copies it into an output file; programs using the metadata defined
in PEP 314 would have to be able to process ReST, though.

I know the plan is to eventually add ReST/docutils to the standard
library, and that this isn't happening for Python 2.3.  Question: is
it OK to make something in the core implicitly depend on ReST before
ReST is in the core?  Until docutils is added, there's always the risk
that we decide to never add ReST to the core, or ReST 2.0 changes the
format completely, or we decide XYZ is much better, or something like
that.

--amk                                                    (www.amk.ca)
IAGO: Poor and content is rich and rich enough.
      -- _Othello_, III, iii