[Python-Dev] Make _strptime only time.strptime implementation?

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Fri, 9 May 2003 00:10:46 -0400

[Brett Cannon]
> Someone filed a bug report wanting it to be mentioned that most libc
> implementations  of strptime don't handle %Z.  Michael asked whether
> _strptime was going to become the permanent version of time.strptime or
> not.  This was partially discussed back when Guido used his amazing time
> machine to make time.strptime use _strptime exclusively for testing
> purposes.
>
> I vaguely remember Tim saying he supported moving to _strptime, but I
> don't remember Guido having an opinion.  If this is going to happen for
> 2.3 I would like to know so as to fix the documentation to be better.

As we left it, we were going to wait for the 2.3 alpha and beta testers to
raise a stink if the new implementation didn't work out for them (you'll
recall that the call to the platform strptime() is disabled in 2.3b1, via an
unconditional

#undef HAVE_STRPTIME

in timemodule.c).  Nobody has even cut a little gas yet, so I'd proceed
under the assumption that nobody will, and that the disable HAVE_STRTIME
code will be physically deleted.  If that turns out to be wrong, big deal,
you stay up all night fixing it under intense pressure <wink>.