[Python-Dev] Re: C new-style classes and GC

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Fri, 16 May 2003 17:43:51 -0400

[Jim Fulton]
> I don't know wht PyDict_New doesn't just call the dict type.
> Maybe doing things in-line like this is just an optimization.

All aspects of dict objects are indeed micro-optimized.  In the office,
Jeremy raised some darned good points about things in dictobject.c that
don't make good sense anymore, but I'll skip those here because they don't
relate to the topic at hand (in brief, "module initialization" for
dictobject.c is still hiding inside PyDict_New, but there's no guarantee
that *ever* gets called anymore).