[Python-Dev] Introduction

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@ZOPE.COM
23 May 2003 12:23:43 -0400

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 16:56, Jeffery Roberts wrote:
> Thanks for all of your replies.  The front-end rewrite sounds especially
> interesting. I'm going to look into that.  Is the entire front end
> changing (ie scan/parse/ast) or just the AST structure ?
>
> If you have any more information or directions please let me know.

The current plan is to create an AST and replace the bytecode compiler.
We're leaving a rewrite of the parser for a later project.  It's a
fairly big project; large parts of it are done, but there is work
remaining to do in nearly every part -- the concrete-to-abstract
translator, error checking, compilation to byte-code.

At the moment, it's possible to start an interactive interpreter session
and see what works.  But it isn't possible to compile and run all of
site.py and everything it imports.

Jeremy