[Python-Dev] RE: Decimal class

Kevin Jacobs jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com
Mon, 26 May 2003 13:22:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Tim Peters wrote:
> [Kevin Jacobs]
> > Anyhow, the next big thing I want to do is to make Decimal instances
> > immutable like other Python numeric types, so they can be used as
> > hash keys, so common values can be re-used, and some of the code can
> > be simplified.
>
> Offhand I didn't see anything in the code that mutates any inputs, so I
> expect it's at worst close.  But this kind of discussion should be in
> public, so others can jump in too (especially Eric!).

I agree 100%.  Does anyone else have feelings for or against having mutable
Decimal instances?  In the mean time, I will prepare a patch to do this so
we can evaluate the practical effects on the code.

-Kevin

Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect
Voice: (216) 986-0710 x 19         E-mail: jacobs@theopalgroup.com
Fax:   (216) 986-0714              WWW:    http://www.theopalgroup.com