[Python-Dev] Vote No on 318

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Apr 1 17:56:16 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 15:47, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> IMHO, the best syntax is what we have now.  Its only weakness is being
> distant from the first line in the definition.

A significant drawback.  Plus the fact that you have to type everything
twice.

> A failing common to all of the proposals is that they turn action words
> (like classmethod) into adjectives with implicit actions.

I've never thought of "classmethod" as an action, i.e. verb.  To me, and
in my code, the things inside the decorator syntax have always been
nouns.  That's why I favored decorator-after-def (although I've given up
on that now) because it read like English: "define a class method named
foo with arguments bar and baz".

I'm becoming more dejected that we're just not going to reach agreement
on this for Python 2.4.  In the hopes of avoiding hanging our Chad, I'm
throwing my endorsement to Les "Decorator Before Colon" Decidawredy.

plus-python-mode-already-supports-that-syntax-so-what-more-do-you-need?-ly y'rs,
-Barry