[Python-Dev] Python Interest Group

Bill Venners bv at artima.com
Tue Apr 6 16:14:18 EDT 2004

Hello All,

I am the editor of Artima.com. Guido and others suggested that I send
this query to python-dev.

I am about to release a new feature on Artima called Interest Groups,
and I am looking for a few people who would like to moderate a Python
Interest Group. I am wondering if any of you might like to serve as a
moderator, or could recommend others from the Python community who
might want to act as moderators. Here is the low down on Interest
Groups:

Artima Interest Groups is a free service that allows communities to
keep informed and discuss issues. Each interest group is essentially a
news feed that serves a specific community. The news feed is moderated
by one or more volunteers from the community. Anyone can submit news
items for consideration. The moderators check the accuracy of the
submissions, and decide which news items to approve. Approved items
appear on web pages at Artima.com, and in two Artima RSS feeds. Each
approved item can be discussed by the community in its own Artima
Forums topic.

Basically, the moderators would get a short email notification when
someone submits an item, then they can edit, approve, or reject the
item via the web. It is like having a little theserverside.com or
slashdot.org for your community. Another way you might think of it is
as a web version of python-announce, except that only the topics are
moderated. Any discussion that follows each topic is a free-for-all.
One benefit of having an Interest Group at Artima is that people
outside the Python community proper will also be exposed to the Python
community's news.

If anyone is interested, or has a recommendation of someone I can
approach about moderating a Python Interest Group, please email me.

Thanks.

Bill
--
Bill Venners