[Python-Dev] @decorators, the PEP and the "options" out there?

IxokaI ixokai at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 21:24:14 CEST 2004

So, I have been following Python-dev fairly closely ever since my
company decided to rewrite everything in Python, and are now very
interested in the future. Keeping track of the decorator debate has
been a bit of a pain, and with the outcry against @decorators now and
everyone throwing out the current proposals-- well, I thought maybe I
could help, since I was keeping notes anyways.

Someone said the PEP is out of date, and asked it to be updated with
Pro's and Cons of the various ideas out there. So I added what I have
to the Python Wiki; personally I think it'd be a good place for people
to edit in their pro-con thoughts. I left out all the proposals on the
PEP because they appear to all be rejected, although I don't remember
why. I just got through devouring the hundred or so messages on
@decorators made in the last week or so to find the various
information I appended.

http://www.python.org/moin/PythonDecorators

I added "with", although I havn't seen it. "using" would work too. I
personally do not like punctuation syntax-- I'd really like to see
something english, even with the hated addition of a keyword. I
understand Guido's disapproval for "as" so wanted to think of an
alternate.

--Stephen