[Python-Dev] Similar syntax

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer at conectiva.com
Fri Aug 6 00:07:43 CEST 2004

> Ok, I'll try to summarize the current status of the feature
> so that I (and others) can understand if there's something to
> be done:
>
> - Decorators are going in on 2.4.
[...]
> - The @ character is used in at least two tools (Leo, IPython),
>   and this is being considered as something bad, but not a
>   show stopper;
>
> - The perlish argument is non-sense;
>
> I belive that either some different syntax which most
> people agree upon is raised, or we're done.

After writing this list, I thought about something which is
close to the current implementation, but avoids @. If it was
already suggested, please forgive me. At least I wasn't able
to find it in the PEP/Wiki:

    <static>
    def method(foo):
        pass

and also

    <accepts(int,int), returns(float)>
    def bar(low, high):

Advantages over current syntax:

- Avoids introducing a new meaningful character in the syntax;

- Leaves Leo and IPython people happy;

- ">" is already being used on "print >>", so special casing
  it wouldn't be something new;

- Not acceptable in the current syntax;

- Looks like a tag;

--