[Python-Dev] Unifying Long Integers and Integers: baseint

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Aug 12 03:56:42 CEST 2004

Michael Chermside <mcherm at mcherm.com>:

> 'basestring' is a completely different issue -- there will always be
> a need for both unicode and 8-bit-strings as separate types.

I'm not so sure about that. There will certainly be a need for
something holding an arbitrary sequence of bytes, but it's not clear
that it needs to be called anything with 'string' in it.

I can enivisage a future in which 'string' means unicode string, and
byte sequences are called something else entirely, such as
'bytevector' or 'bytearray' (or maybe just 'array' :-).